This project will provide funding to formally establish an "Association" of businesses located in and near the stretch of Eglinton Avenue known as "The Golden Mile". The project will require identification, contract with and organization of the local businesses with several objectives flowing from helping existing businesses to survive the impact of LRT construction and the pandemic. It is intended that this initiative will lead to opportunities for local residents, resulting from a higher rate of survival of the existing businesses, through more businesses accessing Community Benefits, to the urban environment. Opportunities for local residents will include both amenities and employment.
The project will be managed under the leadership of the Scarborough Business Association. Funding will allow the SBA to hire a project coordinator to lead research, collaboration with the businesses and with community partners including the United Way (ILEO initiative), Scarborough Community Renewal Organization (SCRO) and Economic Development & Culture Division (Business Retention & Expansion and the BIA Offices). These partner organizations will help equity-seeking groups and targeted businesses access opportunities created by this initiative.
The SBA will conduct a feasibility study on the formation of an association and will prepare an initial business plan for the formation of an association (applicable to the Feasibility), and will recruit potential members under SBA auspices. The project will fund the establishment and initial operations of a Golden Mile Business "Group". The project will also support connecting these businesses with business opportunities arising from planned development in the area, starting with the construction of the Crosstown LRT and including private sector development.
As part of the recent (local employment development) study, the Golden Mile area has been identified as a potential location for Community Benefits opportunities, including recruitment of local, equity-seeking employees. This work has begun and needs to be expanded. SBA will connect with the United Way's ILEO initiative to ensure the work to date provides a foundation for the project. Local Neighbourhood Improvement Areas (NIA) stakeholders will be consulted to ensure the foundations of the Business Group are attuned to the needs of the local population.
Andrea Hazell | President, The Scarborough Business Association, Inc.
From time to time we will provide updates on the project status in this space. Check back on a regular basis bother here and at our events tab for updated information .
Two weeks into the Golden Mile Project, we have:
- Created a directory of 400+ businesses and contacts in the Golden Mile area
- On the ground activities (from Warden/Eglinton to Kennedy/Eglinton) listening to business owners’ concerns and their survival stories
- Sent 500+ emails introducing SBA to businesses and inviting them to our events
- Made 400+ phone calls to create touchpoints with businesses
- Hosted our first in our series of business development webinars "How to Scale Up Your Business Online" with 40 registrants. The topic was chosen based on the expressed need of Golden Mile business representatives.
The Scarborough Business Association held an extensive list of events through the end of 2021 to encourage interaction between members of the Golden Mile business community, whether it's learning webinars or simply networking opportunities.
Contact the Scarborough Business Association:
Join The SBA - for businesses
Five reasons to join the SBA:
- We will advocate for you by connecting in a meaningful way with residents, other businesses, non-profits, charities, other communities, and all levels of government
- We facilitate networking - our events invite you to be among like-minded business people who share the same priorities and challenges
- We aid in business recovery by connecting you with resources and helping you pivot to effective strategies
- We support economic growth by creating events that shine a light on Scarborough and its advantages
- You will be part of an organization laser-focused on Scarborough businesses - you get to know the culture of the Scarborough business community and raise your profile
Golden Mile businesses are eligible for a one-year free membership. Simply fill out the form below:
Join The SBA - for individuals
Golden Mile individuals are eligible for a one-year free membership. Simply fill out the form below:
Our Webinar Series
Our Next Event:
Empowering Women Entrepreneurs - The first step to empowering others is to first empower ourselves. Connection is key. We need to connect with each other and share our stories and our successes. We are better than we think we are. Lisa explored the concepts of Belief, Awareness, Compassion and Detachment and encouraged attendees to lead an intentional life. (with Entrepreneurial Powerhouse Lisa Patel)
Scale Your Business Online - Businesses are all at a different place in their digital transformation. This webinar surveyed the landscaper and provided essential components to get your business online, visible and generating new leads and business. (with Peter Haggert, Haggert Media Group)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion training - A critical skill when dealing with both staff and customers, it is essential to keep in mind our differences, although we pursue the same goals or look for business partnerships. (With Andrea Moffatt, Diversity Consultants)