Become a Director
If you are passionate about helping to ensure that Scarborough businesses can thrive during these unprecedented times and that Scarborough has a strong voice for its diverse business and entrepreneurial community, please consider running for an open position on the Scarborough Business Association's (the "SBA") Board of Directors for 2020-2021. To be eligible:
- You must be 18 years of age at the time of your election, a member of the SBA, a resident of Ontario and a principal, shareholder or employee of a business, service, or community organization that serves the residents or businesses of Scarborough;
- You must be willing and able to attend monthly board and committee meetings throughout the year; and
- You must be an active participant in meetings and discussions and be willing to use your skills, expertise and/or abilities for the betterment of the organization.
The time commitment for this role is roughly six to ten hours per month but could be more depending on your level of involvement. This is a volunteer position with no remuneration. In the event there is more than one interested candidate for an open position, the Board will run an election at the Annual General Meeting which will be held on November 25, 2020. The Board will endorse candidates that demonstrate the skills, expertise and/or abilities that meet the needs of the SBA.
If you are interested or know someone you'd like to recommend, please review the attached vacancy announcement by Thursday, November 10, 2021. Please send send a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Directors will be elected at the annual meeting, Nov. 27.
Andrea Hazell | President, The Scarborough Business Association, Inc.
Notice of Vacancy
VACANCY – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Created in 2015, the Scarborough Business Association is a membership-based organization comprised of businesses, organizations and individuals, committed to building a strong local economy that benefits the businesses and residents of Scarborough and builds on Scarborough's strengths of location, skilled labour and diversity. To find out more please visit http://scarboroughbusinessassociation.com/.
The SBA's Board of Directors is responsible for implementing the SBA's mission and strategic objectives, which includes transparent and accountable management of financial and human resources, effective governance and leadership to the organization, its staff and our members and attending, supporting and participating in SBA events, forums, committees and task forces.
The Board is comprised of eleven (11) individuals with a diverse set of disciplines and expertise.
Board members are expected to attend monthly meetings and join at least one standing committee of the Board. The overall time commitment is six to ten hours per month which includes preparing for and attending Board meetings, participating in committees, taking on work product initiatives and attending events.
To see our current Board members please visit https://scarboroughbusinessassociation.com/board-of-directors/. See below for more information on the role and responsibility of the Board.
To this end, the SBA is searching for an enthusiastic and dedicated director to serve on its Board. To be eligible for nomination candidates must be at least 18 years of age, members of the SBA, residents of Ontario and a principal, shareholder or employee of a business, service, or community organization that serves residents or businesses of Scarborough. This is a volunteer position with no remuneration.
We are welcoming applications from candidates that can exhibit skills and expertise in the following areas:
- Financial / Audit / Accounting
- Legal / Regulatory / Governance / Compliance
- Communications & Public Relations
- Government Relations & Lobbying
- Partnership Development
- Strategic Planning
- Technology Management
- Public Policy & Policy Affairs
In addition to meeting the qualifications for nominations, the Board will endorse for election to the members the candidacies of nominees who demonstrate to the Board:
- Knowledge of the community of Scarborough through either lived experience, work, study or some combination thereof
- Commitment to the SBA's mission and strategic objectives
- A commitment of the requisite amount of time to be an effective and engaged director and a realization that this may require devotion of time above the minimum six to ten hours per month
- An openness to learning and engaging in respectful dialogue with Board members, SBA members and staff and other Scarborough community stakeholders
- Ability to contribute specific skills and attributes to the organization
- Demonstrated leadership ability in their respective fields and the community
Please send your cover letter and resume to the attention of:
Peter Haggert, Chair of the Nominations Committee
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: November 5, 2020
Please note that we will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis.
The SBA adheres to policies of equity, diversity and inclusion in its employment practices and particularly welcomes and encourages applications from women.
Board of Directors - Role Description
Purpose: To support the mission of the organization through its governance, drive established policies, ensure excellence in the leadership and promote the vision of the SBA.
Duties of the Board of Directors:
- Organizational leadership and support of operations
- Development and analysis of pertinent policies and procedures
- Fiscal accountability including review, monitor and approval of overall budget
- Evaluation of program planning and review of selected reports
- Evaluation of organizational leadership and support of staff development
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and outreach
Term of Office
- Two years
- The Board shall meet at least 10 times per year
- Meetings are prescheduled September through June (meetings may be called July or August as required)
- Meetings are maximum one and a half (1.5) hours in duration
The Directors shall:
- Have voting rights at all meetings unless a conflict of interest is declared
- Attend and participate in meetings as scheduled including events, forums and webinars
- Participate on a standing committee of the Board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as required
- Have fiduciary responsibility and overseeing the financial management and effective governance of the organization
- Ensure that the needs, concerns or opportunities presented to the members and business community are presented and discussed at the Board level for appropriate action as required
- Ensure completion of annual compliance audits in addition to financial audits
- Oversee risk management and compliance to legislation and regulations
- Employ and retain staff as required
Join the SBA
Membership Types and Fees:
- Business up to 4 employees - $125.00 + HST of %13
- Corporate Membership (includes 5 employees) - $325 + HST of 13%
- Non Profit Membership (includes 5 employees) - $100 + HST of 13%
- Preferred membership pricing to SBA events. member to member discounts & affiliations.
- Networking opportunities including our signature educational breakfasts, forums and social After 5 events.
- Advocacy on important business issues that support the entire Scarborough business community
- Leverage brand presence through event sponsorships, speaking forums and SBA social channels
- Complimentary listing in the online Member Directory
- Exclusive discounts on products and services from other members
- Affinity program including special rates on advertising, etc.
- Opportunity to be part of an association that focuses solely on Scarborough