Position: Executive Director
Hours: 20 hours per week; six-month contract
Application deadline: May 10
Apply to: Andrea Hazell, SBA President firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have a passion for entrepreneurship and a knack for meaningful networking and marketing? Are you an
advocate for community economic development? Do you take pride in your deep familiarity with the Scarborough business culture and climate? Do you have a finger on the pulse of Scarborough?
Join this team where you will be asked to embrace challenges, keep pace with change, and help shape the future through courageous handling of ambiguity, application of business insight and collaborative solution finding.
The Scarborough Business Association (SBA) is a member-focused not-for-profit organization that is driven to facilitate business success and community prosperity in Scarborough, ON. The Executive Director position in the SBA is a crucial role that will strategically bring together business and industry leaders, policy-makers and the public in ways that positively impact local economic health and business climate.
Under the guidance of our Board of Directors, the Executive Director provides overall leadership and accountability toward the achievement of SBA’s mission and objectives. Acting as a liaison among members, the board of directors, staff, volunteers, government and partners, the Executive Director is responsible for daily operations including financial management and budgeting, supervising human resources, overseeing the delivery of all programs and services, and managing membership, community and public relations. As SBA is a young, growing organization, driving membership growth and membership retention are key performance indicators for this role.
The Executive Director position is a part-time, contract position (20 hours per week) and reports directly to the SBA President.
● Develop and implement a robust and agile personal strategy for growing the revenue base of the organization by driving SBA’s membership across business segments and industries and maximizing ticket sales for events.
● Establish, encourage and maintain positive, constructive and proactive relationships with SBA members. Act as a resource and the first point of contact for SBA members.
● Oversee maintenance of an accurate and up to date directory of all members of the SBA for the office as well as for the website of the SBA.
Board – Community Interaction
● Establish, develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
● Provide insights and advice related to assigned strategic initiatives, breaking down strategic problems, and analyzing data and information from varied sources to provide recommendations.
● Support the development of tailored messaging, including writing, editing and distributing communications (e.g., correspondence, presentations, policies & procedures).
1 Scarborough Business Association
● Monitor and manage evolving business requirements and escalate issues as appropriate.
Financial Performance & Viability
● Prepare and submit to the Board a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
● Be responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
● Provide strong leadership and oversight of the designated programs to ensure SBA’s mission is supported, strategic work plans are pursued, and project/committee activities are accomplished.
● Manage staff including Executive Administrator and several student interns; assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities and monitor performance.
● Manage and monitor calendars and upcoming events. Lead the planning, coordinating and execution of SBA events.
● Provide input into the planning and implementation of administrative programs.
● Develop and maintain a filing system; ensure business and operational reports, forms, and other documentation, paper or electronic, are readily available.
● Gather and format data into regular and ad-hoc reports, integrating information from multiple sources in preparation for regular board meetings and to enable more efficient processes, enhanced analysis and/or streamlined reporting.
▪ Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
▪ 10+ years of related work experience. 5-7 years of management experience
▪ Advanced knowledge of operations, procedures, and process of working in a not-for-profit organization; past experience working with a BOD or an environment requiring collaboration with diverse groups of people is an asset
▪ Accounting knowledge is an asset
▪ Thorough knowledge of the community of Scarborough and its business culture is a key asset
▪ Energetic and enthusiastic; able to exude excitement about SBA’s services and programs; excellent follow-through and commitment to results.
▪ Possess polished people skills; be team-oriented with a participative style
▪ Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to speak publicly on behalf of the SBA ▪ Experience in managing an office environment and willing to be hands-on; must be a “doer”.
▪ Be entrepreneurial; exhilarated by growth and change be able to reinvent ideas quickly; think effectively; be adaptable and flexible, yet be exacting in a continuous movement toward prescribed goals.
All qualified applicants send cover letter and resume to:
President, Scarborough Business Association email@example.com